Monday, January 30, 2012

Sisters

October 2008
What is family? Family, as defined by Merriam-Webster, is defined in many ways. Most commonly, family is known as a group of persons of common ancestry. I choose to define it using another of Mirriam-Webster's definitions: "a group of people united by certain convictions or a common affiliation: fellowship." My family consists of my husband, my mom, and my five incredible sisters.
June 2011

Friendship is more difficult to define, as it means so many things to so many people. What makes a friend? What makes a best friend? Is there a difference? For me, friendship extends far beyond simple kindness. Friendship is an action. It's unconditional and it's forgiving. Friendship is bumpy. It's binding and, in the best of circumstances, it's forever.
December 2011

Halloween 2000
I met my sisters in 1990, 1993, summer 1999, fall 1999, and 2000. That equates to 79 years of friendship with five incredible women. (Did I mention I'm 31?) This is the story of my five sisters and how they have inspired me. Don't get me wrong, the last "79" years haven't always been easy. We've had our share of struggles. From petty fights to going years without talking, we've been through it all. What makes our story so special, at least to me, is how we always seemed to find our way back into each other's lives.

  
June 2010
I initially started this blog with the intention of telling my story with each of my sisters. How did we meet? Do we fight? What memories have we shared? How do we interact? Why has our friendship lasted so long? In writing the first of those stories, I changed my mind; it's just too difficult to document our history in a meaningful enough way. To put our extraordinary history into words wouldn't be fair. I have story upon story to tell but I prefer to keep those private and close to my heart. They are the stories that have shaped me, inspired me, frustrated me, annoyed me, and taught me about unconditional love.

We've seen each other through many good times (marriages, babies, promotions, graduations, loves) and supported each other through many struggles (losing parents and grandparents, battling cancer, family turmoil, losing babies and loved ones, heartbreaks). I have lost touch, at one point or another, with each of my sisters. Some for far too long and some for short periods of time where we just needed a break. It was never ugly. It was never hateful. It just was and that's the beauty of sisterhood. Ours is a journey traveled together and we ALWAYS find our way back. We are each other's compass.
Summer 2011


I met my sisters at different stages of my life. Some of us live pretty close to each other and others live too far away. This family stretches from Minnesota, to Florida and up to New Jersey and Philadelphia. Sometimes I get sad because there are times I want to be there for my friends but distance and money just don't allow it. Sometimes growing up just plain sucks but we make do. We know that we're never more than a phone call away (when our phones are charged and working) and that's comforting. These 5 women are always there when I need them, regardless of distance, and I hope they say the same about me. Like I said, initially this blog began as a way for me to tell the stories of these 5 friends. Instead, it'll just be my small tribute to the 5 women I'm lucky enough to call my sisters.
Summer 2009
Winter 2009














TG: I have known you for what seems like forever. From egg drop soup at 13 to lemon drops at 30, we've experienced it together. It feels like we've been to hell and back but we always manage to come through stronger. THANK YOU for giving me my beautiful godson; I treasure him. Regardless of what life throws our way, I know we'll get through it together. It is an absolute honor to call you my friend and I am thankful every day that I have you in my life.

November 2010
MC: I love you; it's as simple as that. We have so many memories and I cherish every one; it's difficult to pick one or two about which to write. From our first year together at camp to becoming co-founders of the ABBIEs, we grew a friendship that will undoubtedly last a lifetime. Thank you for being patient with me and for loving me in spite of myself. I am honored to call you my sister, and my sister wife, and cannot wait for the next 30 years!

Halloween 2009




Summer 2010









Summer 2010


AH: You inspire me. Thank you for always believing in me. There was a time when I wondered if we'd be friends again and just the thought made me sad. Forgiveness is an important part of friendship and I'm glad we learned that lesson together. Thank you for always being just as excited about my accomplishments as I am. I am lucky to have you in my corner

October 2011
LKW: I miss you every day and cannot wait for the day when we're rich enough to fly to see other whenever we want. We don't talk every day, or even ever month, but I know you're always there. I love that we can sit in a room and have a conversation without talking. I love that we are in sync enough to know what the other is thinking with just a a smile. You are one of the strongest women I know and I am inspired by you. LUMU


 VLS: I could write this entire note in "code" and you'd know exactly what I was saying. Be right back, I have to pee Ms. N. Okay, so where do I start? I love that I played country music at a pool hall before everyone told you you'd hate me. I love that my fish survived. I am happy that we didn't get arrested for stealing cars. I love that whenever I need you I just have to call 888-WDR-LOTS and I know I'll get you. Okay, in all seriousness, I love you. THANK YOU for giving me the honor of being Sara's godmother. Whenever I get sad that you're so far away, I look back at the pictures and think back to all of our memories. It gets me through. I value you and cannot wait to call you and ask if you're sitting down. PIZZA PIZZA




"The men in your life may leave you, children grow up, parents pass away. The only ones who are there for you, from cradle to grave, are your sisters." 


September 2008












1 comment: